Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Annoying Love

“Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church”
Ephesians 5:25


    Can I tell you something, but you have to promise not to tell my wife? She can really get on my nerves. I mean really get on my nerves. She does this hover thing where she just stands over me and stares me down, adoringly of course, but my goodness it irks me.

    Can I tell you another something, but you have to promise to tell her this time? I would not trade any of it. For as much as she annoys me, I love her too much to be without her. It is like those little annoyances are necessary to my life now and I would have it no other way.

    So what does this have to do with anything? Well, I can’t help but wonder if that is the same opinion God has of us. It is like we mere mortals  do everything we can to disappoint Him, yet He continues to poor out His goodness and love. No matter what we do He forgives and continues to bless. Knowing that Christ loves me, in spite of myself, is a great lesson to learn, especially when attempting to fully love my wife the same way Christ loves the church.

    This lesson, however, does not only apply to husbands, but to all believers. To really love like Christ essentially means that we must love one another in spite of each other.

    Hard pill to swallow? Yeah, trust me, I know.

    Just think about it for a moment. If we were to really start loving one another, regardless of flaws, and strive to live a Christ like life, we might just live up to our potential. Isn’t that what it really is all about: potential.

    Let me tell you something else about my wife. I want to see her succeed. I love her so much that I want to see her do great things for God. I pray for it, and God has granted it over and over again. And you know what? He is just getting started.

    See when we love like Christ we have a desire to draw the best out of our neighbor, the same way Christ desires to draw the best out of you.  It doesn’t matter how much they annoy you, it only matters that you are there to be annoyed.

    Take a moment and thank God for loving you, in spite of how annoying you can be. Make sure to praise Him for bringing the best out of you, and for extra measure go forth and attempt to bring the best out of someone else.

2 comments:

  1. good word need this to deal with my nieghbors! God bless!

    ReplyDelete