Friday, May 25, 2012

Excerpt: Eden Tree

    As the morning softly draws in I am awakened by the eerie sound of silence. It forms a stillness that settles deep into my soul and causes me to desire a release from within, yet I cannot. My eyelids slowly lift to reveal the world around me and they reveal nothing more than disappointment. The clouds of the sky have fallen and lie thick amongst our camp. It is hard to see more than a couple of feet before me, though my consciousness registers that I see all that is needed. 

    In awe I look to the heavens to gain my bearing and see the rising sun settled upon the low clouds. Using the density of the mist as a blanket for my eyes I peer at this most perfect orb. The radiant satellite smiles down to me through the haze and warms the dampness in my bones. I easily stare upon it without strain and admire the perfect roundness of the edge giving the appearance of eternal solitude settling with peaceful bliss.

    Entranced with the perfection of the morning I lose myself to the memories of days gone by. In the distance I can see the face of my mother appearing to me with the most surreal smile. As greatness of her image draws inward she forms a solid translucence that the sun can no longer penetrate. With my mind tossed into an array of confusion I step towards my phantom mother with a wanting heart but a hesitant soul. The steps of my well tattered boot fall short of the ground as I glide through this rise of moisture beneath me. With every step, wisps of the heavens dance under toe.

    With a childlike desire I call out to my mother with a muted mouth. I continue my glide to this otherworldly mother of mine and the sun in all its perfect glory continues to bear tenderly on the bridge of my nose. Its faint light in this world sympathetically urges me forward to bind the source of my mother’s continued glory. How can she be here in this place? How can I be here in this place? Where is this place?

    The answers elude me. But I continue to move forward uncontrollably. Passing the fire from the night before, I see only amber embers slowly flickering at the end of their short life. Around the fire there are no bodies, there are no companions, just imprints of warmth from where a body once was. I begin to realize that I am in a desolate existence where there are only myself and my mother, both of which are guided by this sun, and neither of which are truly alive.

    Quickly I notice there is no pain in step, I move with flawless gait. The once dead appendage connected to my hip seems to have been corrected in this indescribable place. With every breath I can feel a renewed energy like never before and my legs begin to pump like that of a stallion. My pace gains a vivacious skip followed by a spry gallop. Before I can comprehend the maker of my sudden liveliness I find myself in full stride with my arms flowing back behind me catching the wind in my palms. It is as if I was in a field of high grass as in the days of my youth, yet I am merely running among the clouds with no visible ground beneath me. Where this energy comes from I do not yet know.

    My face is resolutely pressed towards the image of my mother who never gets closer nor further away. The golden hue of the sun that is masked by a silver cascade of fog is covering my every step and in its mysterious existence has spoken silently to my soul and shown itself to be the source of my new found youth in this place. I continue to run wildly still with no answer at hand and with no determined destination, just …running… wildly.





or 

Purchase from Backlist Books in downtown Massillon, Oh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment